4Tel’s end-to-end solution for delivering electronic work-on-track authorities into rail control environment
4PTW is an electronic Permit-To-Work system for managing authorities to support track maintenance activities. The system includes a mobile application (“app”) for use by protection officers (“PO”) and a central server to integrate it into the train control environment.
4PTW addresses the issues and concerns highlighted in the Rail Safety Report 2014-2015 from the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator (ONRSR). This paper acknowledges that “Worksite protection in Australia relies heavily on rules and procedures to protect people undertaking rail safety work. These administrative controls are highly vulnerable to human error and potential consequence of non-compliance can be fatal”.
4PTW improves the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of track maintenance activities through the use of mobile app technology and integrated engineering controls. It provides a complete solution for all maintenance activities in the corridor without reliance on administrative controls, voice communications or hand-written authorities.
There are three levels of deployment available to meet specific business needs:
- Level 1: Electronic messaging between train control environment and PO mobile app
- Level 2: Level 1 plus integration with a centralised vital Interlocking
- Level 3: Level 2 plus on-board enforcement of track vehicles/work trains
Level 1 plus:
Level 1 or level 2 plus:
Improving Situational Awareness
Available with level 1, 2 or 3:
- On-board device or mobile app to display:
- Train locations
- Train running information
- Track maintenance information
- Conditions affecting the network (e.g. speed restriction, failed level crossing)
- Corridor infrastructure